03-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #922
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Middleweights are more fun than traditional liter bikes, but panigales are frameless.
I was under the impression they weighed the same, if not less than an 848.
It's not just the weight. It's the forces of the engine. Smaller engine tends to be more revvy and peppy, if those are technical terms

I haven't ridden a Pani though, neither the 1199 nor the 899, so maybe it's less pronounced with this generation. Surely, I wouldn't mind testing that out myself!

It was the definitely this way with 996 and 748, not much of a weight difference that I recall (748 was slightly lighter) but the 748 was considered to be a better handling bike, quicker direction changes, and lighter feel.

I'm not an expert on the matter so this is about the limit of my understanding, but from seat of the pants I've noticed it to be true. It doesn't mean you can't rock a Panigale in the canyons, of course, it comes down to rider skill... But apples to apples (same rider) this holds true, in a general sense.

I used to be hit the canyons pretty hard with my Aprilia SL1000 Falco, in Malibu (mostly tight canyons) but it was more work and I was still faster through the same canyons on my SV650.
Appreciate 0