View Single Post
      03-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #915
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

The Ducati fuel tank issue spanned multiple models and multiple years. When reports of this were starting to get out, Ducati played dumb about it. The only fix Ducati did in regards to the superbikes was to replace the entire model line with the 1199 and 899 which now use metal tanks. There were those of us which proposed to Ducati an option where we paid the price difference between the stock tank and the Ducati Performance aluminum tank. Ducati flat out denied that option. I'm not sure how bad the transmission problem was with the 2006 K1200R, but with the Ducati expanding fuel tank issue, it was a safety issue too. There were instances where the tank expanded in a manner which cracked the internal vent tubes which caused fuel to leak all over the top of the motor.

With regards to bikes having a soul, I sort of get the mystique of having a Ducati L twin with my experience with my 848. But I don't get fanatical about it. I got into sport bikes for the shear performance and I expect some level of reliability. I could care less about the soul. Having actually taken a S1000RR through its paces in an environment where it was designed for (ie the track), I would say the S1000RR has plenty of soul.
Appreciate 0