08-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #523
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Switched to Tesla Model 3 Performance

Hi guys,

After ten years of loyal BMW ownership I switched to Tesla. I’ve owned two E9x M3s, an X5M, and a 550i GT. I was also in the market for either an M3, M4, or X5M. But, I just got tired of all the service visits costing thousands of dollars, and I simply lost interest.

I test drove a Tesla Model 3 AWD in early July. A few seconds after pulling out of the dealership, I realized why the gasoline engine is being phased out. There was no reason to spend another minute in a car with tons of buttons that requires regular dealer visits for expensive routine maintenance and service. The electric car eliminates thousands of parts and potential issues, all in a tight package under a simple warranty.

These thoughts raced through my mind during my test drive. But the suspension seemed not as great, and the car was more comparable to, say, a 4 Series M sport than an M3. I then asked to drive the Model 3 Performance. It was comparable in so many ways to the M4. However, it had Porsche-Turbo-like acceleration and ungodly grip like race prepped AWD. The car was telepathic. I ordered one and got it two weeks ago.

The Model 3 Performance has everything I wanted in a car. It isn’t just fast, it is also extremely peaceful and takes the stress out of driving in traffic. Charging has not been an issue for me; I’ve even found lots of places to charge for free. Each day that passes by, I learn how to drive more efficiently in order to save battery charge, yet I still hit high speeds and have moments of crazy acceleration. I did the math, and in five years I will save close to $49k compared to the ownership experience I had with my old BMWs.

If any of you are toying with the idea of a Model 3 Performance, I suggest you at least take a test drive. You may end up loving it.
Appreciate 3
ZCD1204.00
IS350117.00
clee1982797.50