IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
People can argue about the performance all they want, but at the end of the day, there is nothing inherently special about the TM3 outside of the battery architecture.
Other than performance, handling, and ergonomics, what else is there to argue about?

On 2 out of 3 of the above, TM3 wins hands down. Third is a tie.

Quote:
The exterior, interior, materals, etc. are all simply pedestrian (and yes I have driven one).
Pedestrian[ puh-des-tree-uh n ] adjective
  • lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull

Tesla interior is the exactly opposite of the definition of pedestrian.
It's unique, striking, highly ergonomic and innovative.

In the exterior, form follows function, but still conforms to the clean and minimalist style. I love it more and more.

Quote:
I know some will be jumping on here screaming "but that's subjective and only your opinion!!!" and in some ways they are right. The TM3 looking like it does in the 30-40k configuration is FINE, but when you try to compete with the M3, C63, etc. people who buy those cars buy them because they are special, different and have a true sense of character.
Yep, and Tesla has it in spades over BMW these days.
Sadly.

Quote:
So I'll gladly admit defeat in 0-60 and even on some tracks, but at the end of the day, I want to be able to look at my car, smile and know that it's a special machine. Which the M3 does for me, but sadly the TM3 does not (yet).
To each his own.
I look at both, side-by-side in my garage, every morning (unless my wife already snagged the Tesla). At least for now.

BMW M3 exterior is more nuanced vs. clean TM3 lines, and I do still love my Sakhir Orange color choice.
Once I touch the door handle, however, it's Tesla. No contest.
From no key required, to features, to tech, to ergonomics, to sound quality, to performance, to driver engagement.

It's what BMW ///M3's are supposed to make you feel, but have utterly failed to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusadus View Post
Took delivery of my Model 3 performance about a month ago and am surprised at how much I enjoy it. [...] BMW should revert back to the old days where they emphasize sportiness over comfort and technology. They simply can't compete if that is the battleground.
BMW has to do something to differentiate itself from the crowd.
I'm not sure it can.

It can't differentiate on tech, since it can't source unique features from common global tier-1 suppliers - all automakers now get the same tech. Germans suck at software (SAP is the best they can do, right?). It gave up investing in EV tech, and is now sucking up to Daimler to share autonomous development efforts.

AMG and Quadrifoglio now offer better performance sedans than ///M does.
So what's left?

Convertibles, maybe?

Trucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
isn’t that good for you that there’s no difference? It’s as if you got a 320 and no one can tell it isn’t an m3
Just like in the E36 days I had an ///M (no badge), and my wife had a 328i.
Very few people, outside of BMW CCA membership base, could tell the two apart. There were a few subtle ways to differentiate the two, but most normal people couldn't.

Didn't bother me one bit.
I kinda loved it that way, actually.

a
Well said, I like both, for different reasons. Here's another one of my comparison videos for looks/layout. After owning the Tesla, I really don't miss all the buttons.

Appreciate 1
M3 n X5M171.50