View Single Post
      10-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #34
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
I mean, I like saving money. I don't really care about the aesthetics of my phone, it's a tool for me. My tempered glass screen-protector isn't obtrusive at all, I don't even notice it and there is no detriment to quality of display. My case isn't bulky at all either, I can comfortably carry my Pixel and work-issued iPhone in my pockets, both of which have cases and tempered glass protectors.

I would disagree with the claim that people here are relatively financially unconstrained, and even if most of us were, why would you willingly toss money away when you could save it or inversely spend on something else(i.e. car)? It's not impossible to enjoy the cars we love while being on a budget. I actually would say most of the people are on here to save money and learn instead of just being the BMW goober who takes their car to the dealership any time something goes wrong and paying a huge premium.

Not to be rude but I think your view on this is a little immature. I don't see how people protecting their $800-$1000 tools is something to be criticized. I don't want to drop my phone and have it be inoperable when I need it, and I would definitely want to extend the life of something that costs $800-$1000 as long as possible. Generally someone who lives a comfy, sheltered life without any risk of property or damage probably wouldn't need a case, but many people use their phones for more than texting their girlfriends or social media. And even if someone can afford to completely write-off a phone in the event of catastrophic failure, that is still an irresponsible and wasteful habit, and that individual probably has more money than brains.
Serious question: If you think that it's immature and stupid to spend more money to make your life better, why do you own something as incredibly wasteful as an M3? That's completely inconsistent.

Also, I genuinely do not understand how you "don't even notice" a tempered glass screen protector. I've tried them on my own and other people's phones, and the edges make it feel like the screen is broken, they make the display performance noticeably worse (sharpness, color, contrast), and change the feel of the touch screen surface. And they collect dirt in the edges, and usually have bubbles underneath.

But seriously, there is very little in my life that provides as much use per $ as the phone. It's absolutely bizarre to me that people want to economize on phones vs. almost anything else. My BMWs are all a financial drain. My phone is my business lifeline, and it provides significant amusement every day.

Appreciate 0