View Single Post
      07-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Hey all, I've been a member of this forum for a long time but have only recently started auto-crossing. Years ago I drifted quite a bit but that doesn't really translate to speed around a corner.

I've recorded a few of my runs and would really love some input, tips, pointers, etc... on them!

This video is from my second event (I've only ever done two) and was within a half a second or so of my faster runs of the day.

Places that stand out where I'm sure I can gain some time:
- Around 46 seconds into the video, maybe I should have come wider sooner to get more speed through that section?
- Through the longer slaloms in the beginning, should I have been more aggressive with the same line? different line? etc...?
- The long sweeper at the end of the lot (half way through the run): I was attempting to keep my speed through the corner but I'm thinking I might have done better to find a way to set myself up to get back on the gas sooner in the exit. Would love input around this.
- Near the end I was kinda choppy on the throttle: I'm betting if I'd been smoother I could have kept traction better for faster acceleration

The car is completely stock.

Thanks so much!

I've already purchased an AIM Solo 2 which I'll have in the car for my next event!
Nice run, it looks like you kept everything nice and tidy!

Like others have said, keep the car in 2nd gear. You have loads of torque, so there's no need to be shifting.

If the car is completely stock, you will get a huge benefit from pulling the front camber pins and getting an alignment to max out your front camber (assuming your car has the pins like previous generations did), and it'll help wear your tires more evenly as well.

Assuming your diff is similar to the E9x, it helps tremendously to apply light throttle as soon as you're off the brakes in the corner. This helps the car rotate and make it around the corner, and it will force you to be smooth with your power delivery.

Not sure what settings you're using, but keep the throttle settings (power mode?) on the normal setting. Sport throttle settings make it too hard to modulate.

My rule of thumb for whether to come in wide, or keep it tight is this: If the corner is 90 degrees or less, you want to make it wide so you can carry speed through it. If the corner is more than 90 degrees, like a long sweeper, you want to keep it tight to the inside in order to reduce distance, which will shave a surprising amount of speed.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0