View Single Post
      10-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #30
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Once current owners grow tired of there model 3 there will be 100s of thousands on the secondary market readily available as folks trade them in for the model y. Just like with the s, there was a CPO I saw for $37k, cheaper than a new model 3. So model 3 will follow suit and expect used prices in the $15k range in a couple years.
i think the $37K car you saw is the lowest in the country right? that's not really a good indicator of the median price of a used model s, if you go on to tesla's used car website you'll see that the majority of cars listed on there are around the 50K mark. depreciated sure, but not that heavily to be honest with respect to their trim level. model 3 will definitely depreciate in the coming future but i seriously doubt your "pick up one for $15K in two years" assumption, i don't think any car this side of the maserati ghibli has seen a depreciation this devasting.

when you say owners will trade them away for other cars, well, there needs to be some viable and superior options for them to make that trade. sure Model Y provides an internal cannibalistic pressure on the model 3 but i don't see it as the major driving force in people trading, if we look outside of the tesla brand, again you don't see any similarly priced, superior alternatives coming up within the next couple of years either, 5-10 years down the line? sure, but nothing in the short term.
Appreciate 0