View Single Post
      05-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYY95M3 View Post
I've also experienced this ping/rattle phenomenon which has been going on for 18 months now. Frankly, I'm totally fed up with it because no-one seems to be able to positively identify what is causing it let alone resolve it.

To background the issue, I bought the car new in 2013 and it has been run on 98 octane fuel available here in NZ for the entire time, apart from a few long trips around the country when only 95 octane was available on which it ran fine.

For the first 3 years and 47,000km the engine never made any such sound and performed, as it does now, faultlessly. Now it makes this lower engine rattling noise randomly at any speed/revs, usually when a bit of throttle is applied, although it has now decided do a little rattle after each upshift. I'm used to all the sounds the engine, injectors and transmission make, as well as the slight "bog" before the DCT changes itself down.

In short, the only issue with this car is the pinking/rattling noise from the engine. It has never been tracked, thrashed or smashed.

It is still under BMW Factory Warranty, so the authorised BMW dealer has variously, over the last 18 months, changed oil, plugs, fed it fuel conditioner and generally scratched their heads over it for the 4 months that it spent in their workshop. I think it has its own parking spot. Finally, after the BMW NZ technical manager et al had taken it for a drive (running up 700km on tests so far) they did a compression test and pronounced that it needed a carbon clean, which they did, and it made not the slightest difference to the engine pink/rattle, which they have deemed to be "normal operation".

Just done a 4000km trip and it's still just as bad, if not worse, than ever.

I think they're wrong, what do you think..?
Let’s see...... does each of us with the ping/rattle have an aftermarket exhaust? I don’t remember mine doing it before I replaced my exhaust.
Appreciate 0