Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Sweet garage! I'll be working on mine next year. I was thinking of using one of those epoxy systems as well that you pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. Did you put it on yourself or professionally? How long did it last for?
I put it down myself. It was a Duracoat product from Lowes. It looked great when I was finished but quickly started having problems.

I actually put down a gray epoxy coat then went back over it with a clear epoxy topcoat. The clearcoat gave it a gloss finish.

Within 2 months my hot tires started pulling up some of the epoxy. It stopped but was the first issue.

Another problem started to show up and that was with the clearcoat. In the areas that got direct sunlight the clearcoat started to yellow. Seams where I overlapped were especially noticeable.

Then the last issue was spilled brake fluid. I was changing my pads and got some on the floor. It ate right through the epoxy.

So, while the epoxy I used wasn't the highest quality I followed all the directions with the application and had issues that even the high priced stuff may have had.

The swisstrax is some really nice stuff! The painted surface around the edges of the new floor is still in good condition and I may eventually take the swisstrax out to the walls.

Appreciate 0