View Single Post
      06-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #70
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Look at the huge dip right in the midrange of the S65? THIS is why it feels sleepy on the street. Conversely, the S54 swells in the middle, giving the sensation of constantly increasing "zing". Totally different feeling motors. Combined with the 250 or so less pounds of the 46 and it really comes alive.

You go WOT at 5K rpm in both cars and things are very, very different. The S54 rips forward while the S65 is sleeping. Conversely, go WOT at 7k rpm in both cars and the opposite happens - the S54 is straining while the S65 rips your balls off and surges towards redline.

Completely and utterly different feeling motors. One is better suited to midrange use while the other for high rpm driving.
When I hear you or Ian talk about this I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
I did dozens of road trips in both cars and there was never the slightest doubt of which car was faster at any and all rpms. There isn't a single rpm where the E46M felt faster than the E9X.

I tracked both cars in the same day many, many times. Again, never got the impression the S65 required extra revving to move.

I have a 6MT M3 as well as a DCT. Neither one feels 'slow' or not suited to street use. 4000rpm WOT in 6th gear feels quite fast, well in the realm of getting arrested for display of speed or whatever.

Have you weighed yours? Because I've weighed my E46 and E92, back to back, same scale, both cars completely OEM, both full tanks of gas. The E46 is 3500# and the E92 is 3600#. There's a 100lb difference between them.

I give zero credence to the weights published on forums, where people are using 'around 1/4 of a tank of gas' or removing carpeting or other retardedness.
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1587.50