View Single Post
      05-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Porterfield, Ferodo, Hawk, Raybestos, G-LOC, and others have a wide array of choices, fortunately. I've been quite satisfied with the performance and durability of the DTC-60s. Essex has an awesome AP upgrade kit as well, should I ever decide I need more.

PFC said they will be releasing pads for the Chevy-specific Brembo calipers early next year. Apparently there is a huge amount of variation in pads despite the calipers all being the same....but my two cents is that PFC is just being lazy.

Good question. I wonder how much of it comes down to the cooling each manufacturer implements and the aggressiveness of the programming. I know the X5M is an M car, but I doubt it has the heavy-duty cooling that the M5 has, for example. They know people buy those things for stoplight drag races, not track days, so they are probably not testing for 30 minutes of continuous WOT use with constant up/downshifting.

As I get older and own more cars, it's becoming clearer to me that a lot of manufacturers are completely full of shit when it comes to engineering vehicles to withstand track use. Few manufacturers even talk about how they test their cars for that -- all of the "track-ready performance" and other bits that look like they came from a race car end up being a marketing exercise when it overheats in the first 10 minutes. The mainstream auto journalists are no help there either.
I am completely aligned
Appreciate 0