View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #19
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't know where people live but for the large majority of larger cities, instant on is the standard and the V1 or any radar often does nothing to catch this in time unless you have a car in front of you down the road getting "read" with his gun.

I had one but IMO it is more of a risk having one. When you have one you tend to speed more thinking your V1 will protect you. However there are many many times that it just simply does not work and various lasers also get around the V1 in addition to V1. So if you then feel comfortable to speed more than you normally would because you feel "safe" and then you get busted, you are usually quite a bit over speed and possibly dangerously so in a cops eyes.

Without one I found I just drive at less speed and do not get tickets. I actually have gotten no tickets without a V1 whereas I got 2 ticketes with one!

Better than a V1 is very defensive driving in regards to police. Of course this cannot always eliminate every risk but if you generally know the routes you drive and where cops tend to hang out with their guns or just hang out waiting then you obvoiusly take it easy in those zones. I constantly am looking in all my mirros and ahead of me at the cars coming on the on-ramps on the freeway making sure its not a cop, or not a cop somewhere in the distance behind me lurking. You get to be good at spotting a cop cars appearence in your rear view, even if its unmarked. Now there are some complete unmarked cops in normal vehicles that are impossible to tell but that is not the norm.

I personally only speed in the routes I know there is zero-low chance of a cop being around given experience driving that route tons of times. To me this is much safer than gambling with a V1 in unknown territory.
Appreciate 0