View Single Post
      03-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #41
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

I agree that the car is almost 2 model years old, but I think $20,000 off of sticker (39.7% discount!) makes up for that. Look at the true market values. What's crazy is that I can get on eBay right now, and 9,000 mile used cars are going for more than what I just bought my new one for. I'm not talking asking price, I'm talking what the current bid is up to. KBB shows the trade-in value at $49,400. I was looking at a LOT of different cars, and I just wanted something that I knew I could get out of in a year. I trade cars pretty often, so I like to have my options open. I actually have an '09 CTS-V on order, but I hated to buy it when I KNOW that they will have better deals on them by the summer. This was the ONLY new car purchase I could find that allowed me to be in the car really well price-wise. It's icing on the cake that I really wanted to get back into a BMW! I missed my 335 after selling it a year ago.

Goober M - It looks like it's already negotiated into the price. There's roughly $5,000 difference between MSRP and invoice, so assume invoice of your car is $63920. Another $7500 off puts you at $56420, which is near dead-on of your selling price. They're selling the vehicle for their effective cost it looks like. Not all dealers will necessarily want to take a $7000 hit. Mine apparently was willing to in order to get the car gone, and I think it helped that I was a repeat customer. It also helped a LOT that I was able to print out the eBay auction and show that I had bought one elsewhere for the same price. I told them that I really wanted to work with them since they're local to me, and the GM said he really appreciated that. I'd assume that you're more likely to get a dealer willing to take some of a hit if they're sitting on multiple '08 cars. This was the last one at my dealer, but they seemed excited for it to be gone.

It's hard to say how much this will affect the overall M3 market. Even with the rebate, I'd consider my deal a rare find. You'll have a handful of people getting a smoking deal, but the vast majority of the '08 M3's in the states have already been purchased...or so I assume. If that's true, you have a lot of M3 customers not willing to sell their cars for dirt cheap because they're either that upside down or they just refuse to take that kind of hit. Let's assume that there's 500 '08 M3's left on lots around the country. Five hundred buyers in the total number of '08/'09 M3 buyers is pretty small, and the number of those buyers that will know about the rebate is even smaller. It's also not an advertised rebate, at least not to this point. Had my dealer not told me about it I would have never known. I think you'll see crazy interest rates on them by May. The closer we get to the '10 MY the sweeter the deal will get. I don't think they'll take much more off. There's only so cheap they'll want to sell the car for obvious reasons such as resale value. It just happened to work out perfect for me since my local dealer had a car that I wanted and was willing to cut such a smoking deal. What's hilarious is I remember them quoting me on a 24-month lease this time last year with 20k on this EXACT car, and the payments were over $1,400! A year later, I bought the car with $6300 down and pay under $850/mo.

I took delivery of my M3 today, and she's totally BADASS!

Trevor