View Single Post
      02-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #41
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
From a marketing and short-term standpoint, yeah.

But there's no way you'll make it big long-term like that IMO. The next legitimate WoW beater or contender will have to give people something Blizzard can't match. No clone will ever compete with, or dethrone, WoW on a large scale. If you've got a game that doesn't offer a freshness factor, you're not going to be able to draw many people from the communities they've been entrenched in for years now unless it's absolutely incredible.

I have to give it to Blizzard though. They have a crack team of developers and geniuses at that company. The complete opposite of Funcom. I only with the talent behind AoC was anywhere near what it is at Blizz.

It will take a serious slip up by Blizzard to give up the throne... SOE slipped up and allowed them to take em to the woodshed. I left Everquest many times for Asherons Call, DAoC, Anarchy Online, etc. But I always went back to EQ. WoW was different. I don't need to say why because it has been beaten to death.

But the point is, people are going to leave WoW for new games. It is if they go back that matters. So far, people keep returning to WoW. We will see in the next year or so if they can keep it that way.