02-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #100
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
OK. maybe I can learn something here, as I am genuinely at a loss.

What is the value of a high rpm engine?
Bruce you don't really need me to tell you this do you? Again all of these things may or may not have been achieved or may have been achieved in varying degrees in the M3. Furthermore, there are certainly some counter examples to these points meaning they are not absolutely/universally true.
  • Power to the ground per weight is key. High rpm engines generally develop more power than lower revers (all other things equal)
  • High rpm engines can hold gears longer than low rpm designs, which when all other things are equal will produce a faster car
  • Throttle control and precision is enhanced with high rpm designs
  • High rpm designs can be made to withstand less torque and can therefore be lighter.
  • High rpm engines can provide more hp/l which can offer improved efficiency and emmissions for a given power
  • High hp/l engines can avoid costly taxes in some countries based on displacement
  • High rpm engines are darn fun and sound heavenly, let's not forget the importance of these somewhat subjective points
  • Lastly what about F1 cars? Yeah I know, the GT-ish M3 is not an F1 car but there would be no way to get these to perform the way they do without very high rpms and gears to match.

I too would like more information on European engine weight standards. I would expect all manufacturers to follow the regs if they exists. Does it makew fundamental sense to you that a 4l and 6.2l engine of more or less the same design can weigh very close to the same?
Appreciate 0