View Single Post
      03-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #66
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
$10k+ on a supercharger and penny pinching on wheels does not make sense to me. There are a lot higher quality options out there. Plus you could buy four 10" ZCP wheels just as easily as four 10" AG. Be sure the powder coated doesn't bake at too high of a temperature as that can weaken the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
There's more, just google "AG wheels cracked". Honestly I'm just sharing some cautionary warning because I've been through crap wheels. I consider them penny smart, pound foolish. Had rep wheels on my 325ci and once on my E46 M3 many years ago when I thought it was smart to save a couple bucks as well. It was not smart.

I understand you're really just interested in looks, so I'll step out of this thread- I simply suggest to think longer term, of the hassle and problems you may run into with higher probability.
How do you guys differentiate between high vs low quality wheels? Do you just lump all replica and not-top-dollar brand wheels in the same "crap" category regardless of anything or are there good ones and bad ones?

A quick search revealed multiple people post about bent OEM ZCP wheels, and people talking about how they are "known to be really soft." I'm not so sure the people who have complained of bent/cracked AG wheels would have fared any better with OEM. If strength is the main concern, forged is the answer.

Avante Garde wheels are low pressure cast same as OEM, they pass JWL and VIA standards, and even weigh within 1lb of OEM. AG is also not some no-name eBay China garbage brand. I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what exactly I should be afraid of here...