View Single Post
      12-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #86
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
Those of you having issues with VT mounts, are they street version of race? I have the race version, 0 issues. Based on their design, the top bolt threads through the rubber and acts as the bolt that holds the motor so you cannot over tighten the top bolt.

I chose VT because it adds little or no NVH since it's rubber based with a metal cup as fail safe once the rubber fails. Delrin or Poly are terrible material for mounts as they do not absorb high frequency vibration well so you might as well go full solid at that point.

Although the rubber on VT mounts are high grade, the primary cause of rubber failure is heat. The mounts are right next to the glowing red headers under load. This is the same reason why any mount fail, even OEM. Motorsport S65 engines has the heatshield I believe, production don't. I'll see if a vendor can come up with a heat shield bracket solution for this and get back with you guys. The E46 mount heat shield seems to be a good start, but isn't large enough IMO to shield in the area where needed.
I think the ones that failed have all been Street versions. Failure is one thing, but to fail so much sooner than stock mounts negates the reason to get VT mounts in the first place. Furthermore, the lack of customer service is unforgivable. I even offered to buy the replacement rubber bits and all I got was silence.

On the other hand, my Powerflex mounts have been awesome! And +1 for lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 2