View Single Post
      06-28-2023, 10:50 PM   #1531
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
Hello to all, I have a puzzling find today and was hoping somebody could shed some light onto this. I guess it is a good thing, but I have seen nobody claim or state this is possible. I had not upgraded my firmware and I got this like the first week it came out to replace my older version with the bass issue. I had read on here, that now would be a good time to add a MicroSD extension cable so you don't have to pull the dash apart the next time we need to upgrade the firmware. So, I ordered the cable and a new 32GB flash drive. Before pulling dash I took a picture of current FW revision as it states in the instructions, but honestly did not pay attention. I watched the YouTube video and used the settings/general press IDrive button and hold for 8 seconds method, and all went as planned. After reboot, I went to settings/system and took a second picture. I then compared the two pics and was like WTF? They both were the same revision. Yes I checked time stamp too, definitely before and after. So after all of that, my question is can the firmware somehow upgrade itself via WiFi while sitting in the garage?
This simply means the firmware did not update. The only way you know for sure that firmware is being written to the device is the blinking LED on the box itself. Part of the problem with the SD extension cable idea, is you have no visual on the box (intentionally). While it's an aesthetically pleasing setup, not having a visual on the box means you can't see the LED.
Appreciate 1
RUG8RB8146.00