View Single Post
      01-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #53
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

I did this a few weeks ago. Thanks to everyone that did this before and posted their experience. It made the work easier. I have done motor mounts on a few other cars and its definitely one of the easier mount replacement jobs.

The work is as described in this thread. I used an engine support bar and a floor jack to raise and support the engine. As far as tools, I used an XL double box end Gearwrench to break the top nuts loose and a standard size combination wrench to run them off. I couldn't get the ratcheting end of any Gearwrench engaged to the top nuts due to the mounting bracket casting, so, it was a bunch of 1/8th or less turns for me.

My original mounts looked as bad as some of the photos in here. I also had a very bad exhaust leak at the left donut gasket at the header, and I have speculated that the worn motor mounts caused the gasket failure due to the change in angle of the engine with the worn mounts.

I installed the Bimmerworld group-n type mounts. Idle NVH was pretty intense for a little while. Sometimes loosening the mount nuts and letting the car idle for a little while helps with initial NVH, but it did nothing here. Someone posted in this thread, or one of the others, that idle NVH decreases as mileage is put on. I would say that is my experience and it is not too bad currently. I have about 1,300 miles on the new mounts. During driving there are more mechanical engine sounds, and at certain cruising RPM's the rear view mirror vibrates....its funny. It's probably not tolerable for everyone, but its fine with me. If the idle speed were 750-800 there would be no idle NVH.

Thanks - Christian
Appreciate 0