View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
if you look back, all of the "collector" type of cars are the M cars that were either unique or had major advancements.

e30 - first of its kind
e46 - much more advanced than the e36, still beautiful
e9x - much faster than the e46, still beautiful
m coupe Z cars - unique and rare

there will be faster cars in the future, but maybe not as inspiring.
That's my thinking.

I'm putting myself in the year 2030 when the idea of a practical, all round family performance car will mean electric. And then imaging myself missing the sound of an internal combustion engine climbing it's way through the gears, and the blips as it down shifts. What M car would I be thinking of??

The V8 is the best at that, and that will never change now. The days of raw naturally aspirated M cars peaked with the V8/V10 and now they will only be turbo, then electric. And today, honestly I would be perfectly happy with the current turbo M cars, but as a piece of history in the future, I think the V8 would have the most appeal.

I also agree that for similar reasons the original E30 will become even more desirable, but hard to find a tidy low miler today. Also, I wonder how great it would be to drive by modern standards? I can imagine my 430D GC would run rings around it in any situation..
Appreciate 0