slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
The thing is the end link itself is intact. The failure point was on the MCS shock housing itself. That said, they are thinking that there was some torsional forces through the end link that was stressing the connection to the shock body, and that was the weakest point of failure.

The guys at AR seem to think it's got something to do with the links / sway bar setup and not the damper quality itself. I mean, they run MCS on dozens of track and race cars and have only seen this failure once or twice before and it was also with Dinan bars and links.
I would put money on the endlinks not having enough articulation in certain situations, and putting a bending stress on the damper tab. I've seen this with aftermarket endlinks in the past. Check the damper on the other side of the car for any evidence that the tab is seeing the same stresses.

Either that or it starting to come loose. Once they start to get loose at all, the forces skyrocket on that mounting tab and it's only a matter of time.
Good call. The end link needs to be checked for full articulation throughout the steering range. You may need to change your mounting hardware, endlink length or the mounting point on the shock body to improve articulation. Is the end link mount on the shock fixed or can it be rotated? I have had to spend a lot of time getting this adjustment right on my kit. Including custom end link lengths and mounting hardware.

It's definitely not a plug and play install on the front. Especially when you swap suspension, sway bars, end links, and/or suspension arms. Techs can be rushed, lazy, or just make mistakes. Don't assume they did it right.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Chris_PDX337.00