View Single Post
      08-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

08 E93 Buying Advice

Hi Guys, I owned a 2006 Z4M Roadster for a few years and sold it last year. It was my summer/weekend car. I had fun, but with a growing family it didn't make a lot of sense. I miss having a "fun" car and have been looking at getting a 4 seat convertible that I could pack the whole family.

I came across a 2008 M3 Convertible (manual).
  • 3rd owner
  • Car has the VF620 supercharger.
  • Approx 87kms (kilometers, not miles!).
  • The supercharger (and apparently rod bearings) were installed around 60km at a BMW tuning shop by the 2nd owner . From the sounds of it, the tuning shop will refuse to install a S/C if the bearings aren't done too, which makes sense.
  • Current owner has had it for 1.5 years
  • There are apparently no other mods other than the sc, but he did say it has the "M Performance Exhaust", which I'm not sure is standard or optional on these vehicles.
  • Current owner seems very religious with all fluid changes (every 5k)
  • S/C serviced this year.
  • Tires and brakes about 50%...I realize brake parts are about $1200, I'm confident I can do this myself.

I generally stay away from cars that have modifications, but from my reading the VF superchargers in these cars are pretty solid.

This vehicle will not be tracked, and not driven in the winter if I own it. I will likely put 5-6k on it annually.

A few questions:
  • Is buying a used S/C car a dumb idea? (especially one of the "larger" S/C kits?)
  • Are the manual tops reliable on these?
  • Not sure if the T/As were done. I saw some DIYs on that job and it looks doable, however with the S/C in place, does it make it much more difficult?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by ncnmra; 08-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Found answers to clutch questions.
Appreciate 1