Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
The recording of people without notice depends on the setting and if there is an expectation of privacy. It's not the matter of being a private business; however, a private business can restrict what is allowed to happen on their property. So I theory, you could record a business from a public sidewalk with no expectation of privacy, but you once you're inside the business you may be asked to stop and leave. I guess it's an important lesson learned about what you should do before service.
I'm not a lawyer and I assume this situation is not equivocal to wire tapping laws. If it is California is one of a handful of States that have the most strict laws. Interesting.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...-sect-631.html
The law you found deal with wire tapping only. It makes no reference to video tapping that I could read. The courts have held public video tapping to be legal as long as it's a public place and other elements met. The wire tapping law in California is similar to other states that forbid it absent a court order. I think the core issue is someone at the dealership accessing a personal item without permission. It raises the question, can a business access an item that could have the expectation of privacy and delete or view items on it?
Appreciate 0