05-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
buglinjo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnr3524 View Post
So I bought some of these clips from buglinjo. They were ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Not only were they shipped quickly, but the fit was perfect. Well, made and the design is MUCH better than the OEM clips.

I had installed the new M5 knob and the leather is much thicker. Nicer than the original M#'s, I really liked it but the original clips would not take. I trimmed to the point that there was barely enough on the plastic frame but the original clips would not engage.

I used a small hacksaw blade (for metal) to slowly cut off the original clips and then the inside edge (bump) that was part of the clip - made it all smooth. I used J&B epoxy and some of the metal binder clips to hold the new clips in place while the epoxy cured.

After wrestling with the shift boot with the original clips I was ready for a fight trying to get the revised boot to snap in. Attached the wire and pressed the plastic ring into place. It attached immediately and perfectly. Done-finally.

A long post for some plastic clips but they made all the difference. If you're thinking of the knob/ boot mod for the M3, use these clips. I would have saved myself significant trouble if I had installed these clips from the start. Nice work buglinjo!
Thank you for your post!

I'm glad I helped other people like me struggling to keep boot holder in place.
Appreciate 1