View Single Post
      06-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J BONE View Post
So it's really worth the extra money? I have the upgraded system in my 335 and it is very nice. It seems like for that kind of money you could get a really nice upgrade though.
I wasn't convinced until I actually heard it for real. It's quite a pricey option, all things considered so it wasn't as easy a choice for me as, say, ZTP (I happen to like iDrive and EDC, both)

Basically it comes down to the sort of listening you do, and the sort of source you'll be using. If all you're going to be listening to is MP3's at 128kbits/s and the radio (non HD) then you're probably as well off getting the stock system and getting the components for the European Alpine system upgrade. Hell, the stock system might do.

But with good sources (in my case, original CD's that I happen to be very familiar with the mix because they were mixed by a friend of mine) there's just no comparison. That's lossless source where you know what it's supposed to sound like.

My advice? Carry a couple of ORIGINAL CD's (not burned from MP3's or something) that you can try in the cars you test drive... CD's you are intimately familiar with and feel you know what they're supposed to sound like. Try them both back to back.

My most telling moment? When I had fiddled with the EQ to get settings like the starting base here; http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=167608&page=2 and cranked the volume on some good alternative rock, I was completely blown away by the almost complete lack of distortion, and top end was just crisp as can be.

Now, if you're into bass that'll shake your windows then I don't know if the high end system will do that, but I listened to some classical mixes as well as the previously mentioned alternative rock and I loved it. This is the kind of music I listen to, though... YMMV.

HTH.
Appreciate 0