View Single Post
      03-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #164
Jerktown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the autodim rearview, but I'm hoping that'll get better with back tint. I'm not sure why they have D1-5/S1-5... or I'm not sensitive enough at the moment b/c I really can't tell the difference w/ 1 notch increments. D1 to D5? Sure, I can tell a slight difference. Try to tell the difference between D3 or D4? Not so keen... the best news for me is that the lag that everyone is pissed about doesn't bother me too much. Actually, I don't mind it one bit. Who knows, after the initial stage of being just shocked driving a new car, maybe I'll be more sensitive to things... for now, ignorance is bliss.
I hadn't thought of backtint - that may be way to go - it feels a little unsafe the way it is, where if there are headlights behind me, then all I can see are the headlights. I was double-parked waiting for my girlfriend while she ran into a store, and a bicyclist right behind me was almost totally invisible - in San Francisco, I need a clear view in my mirrors, since there's constantly cars and motorcycles and bicycles and scooters and pedestrians flying around everywhere 360 degrees. I may experiment with covering the sensor that's on the mirror face.

I put about 200 miles on today, on 35, 84, and 9 - and holy christ is this car awesome. I was flying through there, my girlfriend getting tossed back and forth like crazy, and I know I haven't even come close to the car's limits. It's insane. I ticked barely above 5500 a couple of times by accident, and I brushed 105ish momentarily, so generally stayed within the break-in rules - it's crazy to think what it'll be like when I can use the entire range.

I haven't noticed the lag, but I've been in S and manually shifting the whole time, and it doesn't present itself when you do that. I did a little D1 on the way home from the dealer, didn't like it much - I felt it was making pretty crappy decisions, but while I got settled into the car, it was good so I had one less thing to think about (keeping it under 5500). I have mainly been in S3, S4, and S5, and I can clearly tell the difference between them. S3 -> S4, you can feel the difference, and hear it too (awesome throttle blips). S4 -> S5, I can clearly feel, too, where S5 feels a little jerky sometimes - maybe cuz I'm not shifting at natural shift points sometimes- I'm finding I like S4 the most, so far.
Appreciate 0