Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
SMG cars accelerate faster than Manuals. Just look at the m5 for example

It does take more skill though since SMG requires more of the driver

First of all, I am just talking about the M3. The M3 has the same transmission, the SMG one is just automated. They don't trap as fast as the 6 speeds, thats a fact. Of course in the M5 with its *7 speed* SMG will be faster against the 6 speed manual with undefeatable traction control and ratios not ideal for the powerband.

Also, there's my various races against SMG cars and the 6 speed cars always hold up better. Finally, more driver involvement in going fast with the SMG? Are you crazy? All you do put the pedal to the floor and the car shifts at redline in every gear. A monkey can pull that off.

Graphite, its an 8. Also, the step in the 335 feels like what you would expect an SMG car would feel like until you drive one. Its not all that great, especially listening to the diff thump every time the tranny wacks a shift at WOT. I wasn't impressed. Needless to say, there's a reason BMW is dumping the SMG for a dual clutch setup like Audi/VW have.