05-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #66
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
A good friend of mine jumped the BMW ship when he was looking to upgrade his e46 330. He has a 2011 Audi S4.
We went to Lime Rock last month and we were both in the intermediate/advanced group as we are pretty close in skill level. He does have about twice as many track days as I do, but it just came naturally to me.
Anyway, once we got out on the track it was VERY apparent that his S4 was NOT up to speed. He was just constantly pointing people by and not enjoying himself at all. He pointed me by and I was just gone!
He elected to move down to the beginner group since they were slower cars and not as many on the track. He said at least he could keep up with the other cars where in the intermediate/advanced group he was just watching his rear view mirrors the entire time. This is in no way a reflection of his driving ability. When we go carting, he's usually a tick quicker than me because he weighs about 20lbs less than me.
In the end, I think his new Audi S4 is slower than his e46 330 with coil-overs. I was still quicker than his e46, but it seems the S4 is slower. It just looked ponderous on the track (nose diving and rolling over).
Maybe he wasn't used to the car yet. I've personally taken both my cars (E92 335i and B8 S4) to 3 different tracks, and the S4 was quicker in all 3.
Appreciate 0