08-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #44
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Racing heritage? Is that why they give the Cayman the wet sump motor? Is that why the engineer it down on purpose to not step on the 911's toes? The cayman is a neutered car, the M3 is built up not built down.

_____

If I wanted a real Porsche to track, it would be a GT3. I suppose a Cayman is the closest you will get without actually buying a real P car.
The Cayman is an excellent car. I don't see how you could claim that its not a real Porsche when it has been engineered better than the current 911s. There's a reason they had to cut its performance short - it would take sales away from the 911. The Cayman doesn't have "racing heritage" on its own, hell, its only a few years old, but Porsche certainly does. I also don't see how you can argue the "built up" vs "built down" point. I'd think a car designed to be what it is, and only limited for marketing reasons, is no more "neutered" than a car that was designed to wear many hats, even if one of those is a 414hp performance beast. The Cayman has been kicked in the shins by Porsche, there's no way to get around that, but it is an incredible car and there's really no room to jump on the M3 high horse and shout down insults at the car. If Porsche had to limit the car to keep it from infringing on the 911, I would consider it even more worthy of the Porsche badge.

My only gripe about the Cayman/S (besides the lack of power, obviously) is that they price it $10M above the Boxster, which, due to the folding roof, is more costly to manufacture.

Sorry, rant off.
Appreciate 0