K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
What deansbimmer said . When this happened in my car - first was for increased battery discharge, the other time was for state inspection overdue. Would not be a bad idea to see what codes can u pull from a regular OBD scanner OR the Carly app. Gives you at least an initial idea where to start.

Also, if your car runs and drives fine for let's say more than 30 mins to an hour, unlikely it's the alternator. Once running, all electrics are powered by the alternator and if the alternator is completely kaput, unlikely that the battery will be able to support all the electrics in this car for that long when running. Just my 2 cents but I am by no means a car expert OR a mechanic
My fault, seems I provided some poor info! I was just going off my personal experience dealing with similar symptoms.

The alternator could function fine one day, and not the next due to a faulty voltage regulator. Some days all would be good, other days I'd have to restart the car numerous times to get the alternator kicking.
It's extremely frustrating to deal with electrical gremlins. But at the same time, anything mechanical with this car is that much more exorbitant!!! I guess it's a no win situation if things start going wrong . Fortunately , it's at least a reasonably reliable and tested platform . And the forum support... that's invaluable. I haven't found any other forums (except maybe the concurs owners group for the C14) that are as helpful as this forum
Appreciate 0