View Single Post
      06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

BPM Sport DCT Software - My Impressions

After being so happy with the BPMSport Engine software (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744663) I decided to take the plunge and also have them program my DCT system as well.

Last month I called Mike up and ordered, and within a couple hours I had the file sitting in my inbox. Installation was a breeze (same thing as with loading the engine tune, but the software was called BPMShift instead of BPMFlash). I used the same cable and uploaded the file to the car without any issues in less than five minutes.

I wanted to wait on posting up my thoughts of the software by driving the car to gain an accurate representation of the difference. Now that I’ve had it for a solid month I figured I would share my thoughts.

First of all, the car now always starts in D, instead of S (manual) mode. In my opinion, that just makes more sense. I always hated clicking over twice to put the car in D on my morning commute to work. Another thing to note is that the car now remembers my S mode selection, so I don’t have to keep putting it back up to S4 or S5 when I switch to manual mode – it already knows what I want.

The shifts are not only quicker, but smoother in all of the shift mode variations. Now, you can really feel a “kick” from the up shifts, especially in S5-S6. I would say the shifts feel similar to SMG if you ever driven one. Be prepared to counter steer though if you do plan the 8400rpm 1st to 2nd shift while in S6 and cold tires. The power delivery feels a lot less interrupted during upshifts, kind of like a continual surge.

Launch Control RPM is lowered to 3500 from the previous 5500. I’ve only tried launch control once while the DCT had the stock software, so I can’t really comment on the differences other than that it works. I do believe it’s more manageable at 3500, since I’ve seen a few friends just burning out during LC, most likely due to cold tires. It seems to be a good compromise for getting off the line without overdoing it and causing wheel spin.

Downshifts have also improved, especially in the S1-S3 modes where the car will not always rev match during a downshift. Stock, going from 3rd to 2nd gear with no throttle input, the car would wait for a second and then shift down abruptly, as if someone tapped the brakes. With the BPM software, it downshifts a lot smoother in the same situation and does not feel as jerky. The computer clutch work seems to be much better. The initial clutch work from a start also seems to be slightly quicker. It feels like the computer slips the clutch less during parking and uphill starts. It also seems like there is less lag time in response from hitting the paddle, executing multiple downshifts, and switching from drive to reverse modes.

Overall I’m very satisfied with DCT tune. It’s an excellent complement to the engine software that I have. I know it’s cliché to say, but the car should have been stock like this. Faster, quicker, smoother shifts in all aspects. I can’t wait to try it out on the track to see how it performs.
Appreciate 0