04-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #1289
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg135i View Post
Nahhh im not going to go the coilover route. Haha I'm not like you Wes. I will get coilovers if I keep my 1 as a dedicated track car one day but for now its just to give an even all around drop to fill the gap with my tires.

I know you did that whole GoogleThis thing for Robert earlier but WTF is the difference if you get coilovers or upgrade your springs, shocks and struts? Is it because coilovers are adjustable....I dont get it
Huh, what GoogleThis are you talking about?

If you just change the springs and keep your stock struts/shocks, you are going to blow them because aftermarket springs are shorter than OEM ones and the spring rates are different. Once you blow your shocks/struts, your ride is going to become super bouncy and you will need to replace them with aftermarket ones so you might as well just get aftermarket ones in the first place.

Coilovers can do a few things. The very basic ones like the ST coilovers only allow you to adjust the height of the car, but more advanced ones like the KWV2 will let you adjust the heigh and dampening (rebound). Even more advanced coilovers will allow you to adjust the height, rebound dampening, and compression dampening. Additionally, you can add camber plates to any coilovers (I think).

Right now I think I'm going to go with the Koni Yellow struts/shocks because they have adjustable rebound dampening, which is more important to me than the height adjustment, and then pair them with some H&R sport springs (I like the drop of the H&R's).

The Koni Yellows and H&R sports should give the car a pretty noticeable improvement in handling. The whole setup is about $1200, installed and aligned.
Appreciate 0