View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
I totally get what you're saying. I've been around the mill and back. My first "fun" car was a 24v VR6 GTI. The car itself was soft, but the engine sounded awesome when you drove it hard. It easily goes down in my book as one of the coolest sounding engines ever made.

My next car was a 2.0T GTI, and while it was definitely a much better car all around, the turbo engine had a totally different feel. It was similar to my 135i in that the acceleration surges early, but then disappears.

I just test drove an M3 this week, and the high revving V8 reminds me why a high revving, naturally aspirated engine can be so rewarding.

There are pros and cons of each though. I love my 135i, and in an around-town scenario, it's incredibly hard to beat. Even with a 100 HP handicap, my 135i feels just as fast as the M3 on the streets, if not faster. I can leave the 135i in 4th or 5th gear and pull so hard. The M3 requires a downshift to really get moving. That doesn't make the 135i more fun; I'm just kind of reiterating your points. They're different, but I have a hard time deciding which is really better, because I drive on the street most of the time, ya know?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0