08-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post

OP... what are your target goals? Straight line acceleration? Tracking? If you want to compete at events like at Trona side-by-side you will need close to 900+hp which requires different car. For events like that to have more fun with a M3 you can always change wheels, tires and lose some weight in the car for the event to go faster!

hey larry - i didn't see you at Trona. It was fun running you at Big Willow with my 335.

To "compete" at Trona, you don't need a 900+hp car. To win every race maybe 900+ will do it, but my goal is not to be the fastest car at these events. If it was, I would have bought a different car. Having a 600 HP car is about average. I'm ok with that. Running 335's with singles and stock'ish GT-Rs and ZR1's will be plenty fun. I remember Drew did fairly well with the Arkym Orange VT2650. He beat some cars claiming more HP. Even Shiv beat an 880 HP Vette in his single turbo 335.

So what's my goals? Well I want to learn to be a better driver on the track. The M3 is a great drivers car. And I want a car that is practical for a DD and looks good. But to attend future airstrip events (the next one should be later this year), I'm gonna need a blower in order to avoid being the slowest car there (the two stock M3's were the slowest cars at the event).

A supercharged M3 will be blazing fast at sea level. But at 6,000 ft DA's - which are what we get at Big Willow or Trona on a hot day, it might not do very well. Understanding things like DA's and sitting around a while at idle on a hot track are things you never think about until you are there. Preventing poor performance attributable to these conditions is the final goal.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0