View Single Post
      05-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #103
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Tried disconnecting the battery and it didn't work. The error is still there. it's a new code, P1628 which has to do with the DME prerun check of the throttle valves. that's where the relearn procedure is supposed to kick in.

How the hell does the car know the actuator has been changed anyway? Aren't the parts identical or do each have some unique fingerprint? If I swap the circuit board from the original actuator along with the gears from the new actuator i bought, would that trick the car into thinking the actuator hasn't been changed? Or do I have to do the stupid relearn procedure regardless?
I don't think the car knows whether the actuator has been swapped - it only knows whether the currently installed actuator is good or not (by running the self-test).

From my own experience, I would be hesitant to recommend swapping internal parts of the actuator in an effort to get the DME to reset the codes and/or deactivate limp mode. It should not be necessary. If you've replaced the actuator and are still experiencing problems, there may be something else wrong. You had said originally that you got a used part - is that the only one you've tried? It may have been bad or gone bad somehow. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0