jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Amazing dedication!

Now, how do you test it? You can test it "live" of course, but you won't know if the problem is addressed by the gear unless it fails again, right? I.e., maybe just putting in a new nylon gear (or whatever that stock gear is made from) would have made it go just as long without a failure too. Come to think of it, has anyone tried to put a new stock gear in a failed actuator to verify that it fixes the problem too? Seems like a lot of room for false positives. A test bench would be great but, even then, time consuming to get results. Not trying to be a downer, just shooting off questions that come to mind.

Ha! Beat me to it...

I have a small Arduino board with a CAN data logger but haven't had time to tap the wires into the circuit board of an actuator and log the control signals. Of course, even after that's done, it would take quite a while to pick out the addressing scheme and then modify the aurduino to act as a bench test device. Too many projects, too little time...

Next time one goes, I'm hoping someone has the guts to do a parts mix with a new one. Maybe when I change rod bearings and VANOS pump in a month or so I'll tackle that too. I'll already have the car taken apart and won't have to explain to the wife why I'm doing it for fun.
Appreciate 0