View Single Post
      07-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I'm ready. Maybe in year 2 or 3 of production. I've never owned a Vette, but I grew up with two of them my Dad owned when they were extremely rare, expensive compared to other cars of the era, and swarmed by people wanting to look at it when we parked at times. My Dad bought a new 1963 C2 vert which was then stolen in 1965. He bought a new 1965 C2 vert to replace it, and that one wasn't stolen until 1968. Both were swiped from the two NYC airports, one a piece.

Anyway, I remember most the 1965 one, as my Dad trained me as his stopwatch timer on 0-60 and 60-90 acceleration runs. It had developed a high rpm miss that he couldn't figure out for some time, so we'd do these timed runs to see how it was running with each attempted fix/change. It turned out to be the coil that was partly shorting to ground in higher humidity conditions. As a 7-8 year old, I loved the huge tire barking 1-2 shifts he would do...there wasn't anything cooler in the 60s than that at my age.

I was 6 in 1965, and I recall going to the dealership to buy the 1965 Vette. I was asking my Mom how much it cost, and she was being evasive, so I apparently really pestered her until she finally gave in, cupped her hands around my ear, and whispered loudly "$4000 and DON'T TELL ANYONE."

Dad passed two years ago at 90, but he and I always used to talk about getting another Corvette one day. I'm thinking a C8 Grandsport might be the one in a couple of years. It has to be a blast to autox one of these things what with its super low polar moment of inertia and all...likely changes directions lightning fast, slaloms sound fun. My first autocross experience in 1975 was in a 914 2.0, so it's been a while since I've had mid-engine experience.
Nothing like those early memories where parents teach their kids about the love for cars!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50