07-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
You can put it on your rear door or quarter glass behind your shoulder.
Ah yeah. Will definitely do that next event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
The end or just in general looks like you are not looking ahead, you go into throttle and let off then see the next section then get back in, you should not really be off the throttle or brake at any time.

Also be more aggressive in the slaloms, you seem to be taking them slow but im not in the car so cant really help there much.

But the most important is looking up, in 1 spot you got surprised by the cones.
Yeah, absolutely. The one spot, I definitely was only looking one cone ahead and by the time I spotted the next cone in the turn I had to let off the gas and correct steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It's tough to perfect the course approach in one or two runs. Don't feel pressured to make every run your fastest. Split the course up into sections and use each run to focus on a particular area and gain confidence. It can be daunting to see a sea of cones in front of you at first.
Yeah... This is why I wish that there were more runs in these events. Does anyone try drawing the course on paper (or whiteboard) after walking it to come up with approaches for different corners or areas?

Quote:
And yes, being smooth will be faster. It will feel slower in the car, but getting on the gas earlier and more gradually means you are spending more time accelerating. Think of it this way: if you had to keep abruptly smashing the gas pedal, that means you realized you were probably a split-second late getting back on the throttle and that you should've been accelerating by now.
Very good points. Will definitely focus on this.

Quote:
The cars that look the slowest and most boring are often the fastest!
I did notice this while spending time watching others and have of course heard this as well...

Quote:
4 runs? That's ridiculous. Every auto-X I've attended has been 8-10, maybe even 12 if it's a low turnout. There's no way you can learn anything in 4 runs. The first is a throwaway, the second is maybe your first real shot at doing anything, the third is adjusting from your initial mistakes, and the fourth is recognizing if your adjustments helped. That leaves no time to actually focus on turning a decent time.

Find another club that lets you get more seat time.
Yeah . Already looking for another club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It's really hard to tell without being able to look at the hands and the head (helmet), but that's my general thought as well. Just looking at the video, looks like the OP was driving from cone to cone, and not necessarily looking 2-3 TURNS ahead.

But it's really hard to make any sort of judgement from this particular view in front of a monitor.
Yeah, that has been my main focus, to look ahead past the next turn or two. It was definitely much better in my second event compared to my first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
It's clear as day at the 45 second mark when there are 2-3 inputs for one single turn.

You just need more seat time. Find an experienced driver and have them ride along and give pointers and you ride along with others. Plenty of fast guys in ATL, a few National Champs too!
I had a few drivers ride along but I think I need to find some more experienced drivers...

Quote:
Yep, good example right there. That should've been one smooth movement of the steering wheel, unless OP felt something happening with the car and was trying to correct.
Was just me not looking ahead enough .
Appreciate 0