View Single Post
      03-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #249
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

# BMW's missing power outlet
For whatever reason, BMW decided that E90s with smoker package cars do not get the extra power outlet underneath the glovebox post-2010. Since I really liked that location for a power outlet, I started to look at my options on how to do this. After some research, I decided to relocate the existing ashtray power outlet and replace the ashtray with a spectacles tray. Removal of the ashtray was simple but the removal of the power outlet was a pain in the arse! Ripping off the plastic piece around it, I was able to relocate it to the rear. I even retained the LED that lit the ashtray to make the LED power outlet glow.

There were a few optional trays for the E90: open storage tray, spectacles tray with cover, ashtray with cover, and euro business cards with cover. I opted to the storage tray so it could utilize the old leather cover. With the relocation of the power outlet, this was a perfect solution to provide better storage.

The tray is definitely a much better option for usable space in that area.

# Maintenance/Prep
Yesterday I decided to do some maintenance and prep for Laguna Seca on 4/20/18.
  1. Bimmerworld stainless steel brake lines
  2. PFC08 Brake pads
  3. New OE Rotors
  4. Transmission fluid flush
  5. Differential fluid flush

First and foremost, I have to say. The inner rear brake lines are 100% a bitch. The lack of space in-between the subframe and the white hose in the way made for a hell of a time removing them. On top of that, there was minor surface rust on the brake line nut because it was an East Coast car. This didn't help the 11mm wrench to grab the nut and extended my work on the rear lines for far too long. After that was tackled, the rest of the items were pretty straight forward.

After cleanup, I went on a test drive to bed in the brakes on new rotors. I did a process of 10 60mph-5mph stops with cool down with a repeat 10 60-5mph stops with a final cool down. The cross hatching on the rotor surface from the factory are now gone. It also makes a perfectly clean BBS go to this:

The PFC08 brake pads squeal like a pig on the streets but since I'm prepping for a track day, this is fine for now. After the track day, I'm debating if I want to buy PFC Z-Rated or go back to OE stock pads for the street. I don't think it will matter too much and I already have brand new OE pads sitting in inventory. I'm pretty sure the OE pads are compatible or if not, the PFC08 is aggressive enough to clean the rotors properly for street pads to be bedded in.

# Coding
In a previous post, I mentioned "finding" adaptive headlights II and it was just a simple coding parameter to get it to work. This weekend, I coded AHL2 to a friend's 2009 E90 and he reported the headlights do swivel based on speed. This confirms it works on M3s as well as non-M E90s. I have not been able to verify it on my own car as I did not drive it at night yet. I did see the headlight adjust itself wider when it was in Auto and it was stationary. Also I moved back to halogen angel eyes so I upped the voltage to 13.7V in NCSexpert to keep it brighter and whiter.

A very eventful Sunday to say the least. Till next time.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 3