Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypo View Post
The driver side is cake. The passenger side will require removing the a/c lines at the compressor, because you can't fit the necessary socket and wrench head between the tensioner and the lines. I worked it for an hour, trying a variety of sockets, couplers, socket wrenches, etc. to no avail. There is probably a special tool for it. In any case, plan on depressurizing the a/c.

If the compressor was mounted half an inch lower, the entire job would take about 5 minutes.
Good info, thanks. I haven't worked on it yet because the parts aren't in but it looks like you might be able to get to the drivers side just by removing the intake. Is that the case or does the plenum need to come off as well?

If I disconnect the ac lines all I have to do is reinstall and add s couple cans of refrigerant, right?
No not quite.

First, allowing refrigerant to escape to atmosphere is against federal law, it must be properly recovered.

Second, you need to pull the AC system under a vacuum of at least 29 in/Hg for half an hour (I like to do this for at least an hour) before recharging the system to remove the moisture that would have got into the system when the lines were removed. Failure to ensure the system is free of moisture before recharging can cause damage to the compressor and/or expansion valve.

Third, you "should" replace the o-rings on any lines you remove to ensure the system is tight.