ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I applied for medical school years ago, the AMCAS (American Medical College Applicaiton Service) had you calculate your total, science, and non-science GPAs separately. GPA has always been an important criterion in addition to MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, C.V., and of course, interview.

"Pre-med" was not a major. You could be an accounting or theology major, and as long as you took the courses required for consideration for medical school, you were fine. I would recommend choosing a major field of interest you could fall back on. Those skills could even be an asset if/when you do practice as a physician.

At the time, the required core classes included general biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, genetics, cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, calculus (highly recommended). The MCAT has since changed, but back in the 1980s it was divided into 6 sections (biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, reading, quantitative). I believe the newer MCAT is more case study oriented.