View Single Post
      08-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
gavsadler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Thanks for all the compliments guys, so far it's been quite fun.

While my brother-in-law was busy cleaning off the hubs to fit the new rims, he noticed a few funnies. There were a couple of bolts and screws missing from the fender liners, bumper and splash tray. Also, once the said missing screws were fitted, the bumper was still a bit droopy in the front, almost like it was only hanging on the top screws. So we made the call to remove the splash tray and fender liners to see what's what.

I alluded to it in an earlier post, where whoever worked on the car did a good job visually, but in terms of reassembly of the parts, shortcuts were taken. Once the fender liners were off, we noticed that the LHS bracket which stabilises the bumper behind the stiffener was only (barely) fastened on the chassis side, and not attached to the bumper at all. Moving to the RHS of the car, the transmission oil cooler was also being held on with 2 of the 4 required bolts, so in effect it was flapping around like an elephants ear.

So... after a quick chat, we decided to fix things properly....

Time to make lots of BMW puzzle pieces:

The car was also full of residual 'white water' dribbles and stains all over the black stuff (from prior spray work and cleaning), so in the pics above, all this mess was cleaned off.

Once the bumper was off, we attended to the loose bracket and secured the transmission oil cooler. Then we noticed as well that the RHS headlight was only attached with 2 of 4 screws. So we sorted this out as well.

2 afternoon's worth of work later and everything was sorted and put back together. It's just annoying how so much stuff was not attached properly. Surely when these chaps clean up after a job and find spare parts they must scratch their heads a bit??? Maybe I'm expecting too much.
Appreciate 2
FMLYSDN1181.50