lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Sure, there are a lot of more expensive and higher performing cars out there. Many are unobtainable for people due to cost. But none of those cars can touch the practicality and daily driving ability of an M car. I cant imagine parking a lambo or Ferrari at home depot, costco or on the street or giving it to a valet. Those are point A to point A cars. (you show them, track them or you barely drive them around and then park them in the garage after wiping down with a diaper). Others are just expensive pieces of shit (the build quality of Jags and Massaratis as an example. Then there are American muscle cars and Japanese performance cars that lack the luxury and refinement I look for in a sports car. Then there are the logical next steps like P cars where the price point and owner exclusivity goes into overdrive which makes them kind of douchy I am finding. Did you know you cant buy some models unless the dealer "likes you" and you have purchased from them before? If you want to buy a used porche from a porsche usa forum member, you have to be a forum member. And guess what, you cant join unless you are a p car owner. Makes getting into a GT3 seem like a lot of hoops, and you will be paying over MSRP to get one if you can get any dealer to give you an allocation car.

My point is, If you are looking for a high performance car that balances the hassles of ownership, practicality and daily driving ability with high build quality and reliability, the M3 is pretty hard to beat at any price under 120k. And the higher end sports cars are so impractical to use and expensive to own that even with the money I question if I could justify that expenditure on a car as I would worry about it too much.

Another factor for me about the Ms: this car is in the sweet spot when it comes to the ability to work on the car and get forum advice. This forum with its great members and helpful advice makes owning the car more fun, and you have resources to help in case of problems. Go to Rennlist and check out the posts there. It doesnt look like a single person works on their own car.
excellent post. this car is almost universally loved by gearheads, even those who own much more expensive cars. look on rennlist/f-chat/etc and you'll find people there who still daily an E9x M3.
39 here. On my second e92 M3. Got my first when I was 35.

Agreed on all points plus the fact that you have 2 usable back seats and a trunk make this a very comfortable all around option and more practical than a P car for anyone with a young family - 7 year old/4 year old. I wouldnt recommend it for any ages that require you to strap the kid in - your back will start to feel like a pretzel.
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1050.50