View Single Post
      05-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #106
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
Yep, here is the crux of it. Regulating boost on a PD type supercharger would retain the same characteristics of a centrifugal type device. Certainly, it can work but, if you can stress the limits of adhesion, with a cheaper/simpler system, why change it?

I will say though, the one benefit of high boost at low engine speeds is the ability to access a significant portion of max engine power, without having to downshift. I enjoy that charcteristic of my 335i. But, as you have stated, it could become a problem, once the power is increased and, if I'm running around, trying to launch the car all the time. IMO, in a chassis like the E92, its more beneficial to limit low end power output, in favor if high RPM power output. It fits better with the sporty GT/weekend track car nature of our machines. We just cannot match the traction capabilities of, say, larger american sports cars, with high displacement V8s. So, why bother?

Now, this argument is academic, since no one on the forums has seen a dyno curve/driven this car yet. All we can do is make inferences from other, similar motors with similar PD devices on them. If you take a look at the curves from the SC'ed V8 in the B7 RS4, you'd see that pwoer delivery remains fairly linear. The engine's torque output still tends to increase as a function of engine speed. Maybe, just maybe, an S65 with a PD device would still drive like an N/A S65, just with more power everywhere.
I know for sure that with my manual tranny, a lot of times on the highway I would prefer to have more torque in the middle range then having to downshift to feel the power, I guess that's one of the advantages the DCT has, it makes the downshifts a bit easier for the driver and the car! I would'nt mind a 100lb-ft more of torque but not in 1st and 2nd gear since traction is already hard to find, I'm wondering what they could do to settle that problem.

Overhall, I'm really happy with my kit, for a fairly cheap price I have plenty of power and most importantly very good reliability but I'm still curious to see what Harrop is gonna acheive with this kit!! Can't wait to see some numbers and mostly can't wait to see some cars performing with it!
Appreciate 0