View Single Post
      04-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #49
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

Forgot to post this update - it actually occurred in June 2020.

The car originally came bone stock mechanically, and like many other enthusiasts I always felt the exhaust was a bit neutered. When a deal came up locally for an inexpensive 4 pipe OEM modded catback, I jumped on it. The only catch was that it had been welded directly to the prior owner's x-pipe and had no tips installed, so it needed some repair.

Step 1: Remove OEM stock catback

Comparing OEM stocker with modded 4 pipe (no tips)

Yup, that won't bolt up.

One-tack-at-a-time MIG welds indicating this had likely been done by a DIYer or an exhaust shop. I'm no better of a welder myself, until I pick up a TIG! Still cannot verify what's inside, but based on the LOUD volume with test pipes, it's the most aggressive variation.

I was happy to see that at least there were no soot patterns around the seams, so the welds were strong and leak free.

The biggest problem was the missing ball flanges, shown here on the OEM stock exhaust. The internet would have you believe these are bespoke German flanges, but I thought I had seen these somewhere before in my other builds...

Sure enough, I picked up a set of ball joint flanges from Summit Racing, and they were a direct fit. Doesn't get any closer than this.

Here's the part number for the male/female combination in case you need to replace any part of your midpipe to catback connection:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-672325

Trimmed to fit my application:

No pics of the welded up finished product, but they looked pretty close to the stock exhaust.

Rather than trying to lift the heavy exhaust alone to get the hanger bolts started, I used a trick I learned a couple years ago...instead of bringing the exhaust to the car, bring the car to the exhaust.

Heave exhaust onto heavy duty cart:

Lower car onto exhaust, start hanger nuts, then simply lift the car back up

I also welded in new universal tips, 3.5" in diameter if I recall. Here they are just mocked up. I really need to get pictures and sound clips of the final setup.

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey
Appreciate 0