View Single Post
      04-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #36
gavsadler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Update Apr-2020:

Since my last update, opportunities to open the car up were few and far between (ok maybe I'm making excuses for my laziness). But the daily grind to and from work just didn't present many opportunities.

Then in the beginning of March, BMW CCG organised a breakfast run to the Vaal Marina, which also included a tour of a private collector's fleet of cars. What an epic day, I literally walked around in awe at the variety of cars on display. I'm going to leave it at that out of respect for said individual's privacy wishes.

That being said, it was a nice road trip, and the plan was to enjoy the open roads and scenery. The trip to the Vaal was fairly relaxed, we were actually at the back of the back, and were following some oldies in a 70's 5-series. It was quite entertaining as they were really barreling along the highway at a rapid pace.

Anyway, after come car-ogling and a lekker lunch, we headed back to JHB in the afternoon. En-route, we stopped to admire the Cosmos flowers (sentimental reasons), and I snapped a few pics.

Subsequent to that, the car has been parked off for the past 3 weeks. This is because I was using my mate's A3 for a little bit, and then more recently the lockdown due to COVID-19.

@BrentBMW: to answer your question, I haven't lined up the 2 cars (would definitely like to at some point). IMHO, up here at altitude, the X3 is definitely faster, and more so because ours has JB Stage 1 fitted. Can't compete with Turbo power up here, hell I think even my bakkie may keep it honest to some degree.

That being said, I think the M3 will maybe be more competitive at higher speeds, and once it's able to exploit it's rev range better. But the X3 is actually such a lekker car to drive as well, I think it's deceptively fast in terms of get up and go.

And based on the above, I've even questioned keeping the M3, or letting it go. But there's a number of reasons why I pulled the trigger on it in the first place. This is also a debate I probably have with myself on a weekly basis (yes... I'm going mad).

Time will tell, for now, lockdown is enforcing no travel or business activity so no irrational decisions will be made (I hope).
Appreciate 1