SlamFire
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6 Speed Le Mans Blue

Garage List
2012 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
There are so few E90 M3s and this is such a niche car that the entire market is enthusiasts. You don't buy an expensive +/- decade old car that requires a lot of maintenance if you aren't a car nerd in the first place.

Keep in mind that we are talking about an original total of less than a thousand slicktop LCI cars. After a decade of M3 attrition, I wouldn't be surprised if the number remaining is between 500 and 750.

It's a *tiny* market. And it's a tiny market that is basically oriented towards nerds. And nerds are picky. if we were talking about cars that were new to only a few years old, that would be one thing. But we aren't. The average buyer isn't buying these.
I'm not arguing that there aren't few slick top E90's, but I still stand by that the people who seek them out specifically are still the minority of "picky nerds" as compared to everyone else.

Most average E9X M3's with moderate miles are in the low to mid 20's where I am. That price bracket alone attracts plenty of non-"hardcore"-enthusiasts who don't care if it's an e92/3 or e90 M3 so long as it's an M3. With 25k you can cross shop 5th Camaro SS, 5.0 Mustangs, and 5.7 challeys with pre/post LCI M3s because performance and V8 alone.

I'd wager there are far more of these buyers than you think, and I'd be surprised if they had a strong feeling about sunroofs or are aware of the S65's extra needs as compared to American pushrod V8s.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10768.00