dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
I've searched and read most of the threads, but I'm still undecided. I'm leaning toward the Cantrell complete kit as I don't want to build this from scratch.

I have a StoptechTrophy ST-60/40 BBK, but I'm going through pads in 2 weekends/4 days. I've tried various pad materials including Pagid RS-29s, Stoptech SR34s, Carbotech XP-12s and now Cobalt Friction XR1s.

For those with the Cantrell kit, how's it working and holding up? Any other options that are relatively affordable?
I can burn through pads at that rate at COTA but no where else in Texas. If this is happening elsewhere I would look at adjusting your braking technique. Pretend you're in a Miata.

I installed the Cantrell kit 2-3 years ago and it works well; shields off the tie rod end from heat too. IIRC, I think I had a little interference with the rotor or hub that was easy to fix, just be sure to check everything before buttoning it up. The kit uses 2-1/2" hose versus the 3" that many others use but it's still very effective and easier to route.

My biggest problem with heat before installing this kit was my brake fluid, not burning up pads. Ducting and Ti pad shims solved most of that and upgrading to a BBK eliminated the soft pedal. My car is lighter though, which is a factor.
It's strange that I've never had issues with boiling the fluid (Motul RFB 600) yet I'm going through pads so quickly.

Thanks, Richard - hope to run with you again - it's been a while.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0