View Single Post
      12-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #85
<-3VOM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
What you're saying in no way relates to my note, and you're mixing two things up here.

Here's the shorthand deal: Speed eats power. It's as simple as that.

Let's say you can attain a certain amount of acceleration at, say, 40 mph in first gear in the current car. Let's also say that 40 mph is at the power peak in first. Ignoring any changes in wind and rolling resistance, you will need exactly two and one half times the power to accelerate at that rate at 100 mph. In other words, your 414 HP M will need 1035 HP to pull as hard at 100 mph as it does at 40.

Or conversely, it will pull only 40% as hard at 100 as it did at 40, assuming both speeds are at the power peak, and of course assuming no difference in wind and rolling resistance.

The key point here is that at any given speed, horsepower governs acceleration, torque and gearing be damned, so the new car will accelerate just as hard after the shift as before, assuming the rpm differences stay between the 5500-7300 rpm window.

Of course, right after that, acceleration will begin to taper off, because the speed is rising while power remains the same - and as I said, speed eats power - in a perfectly linear way.

Bruce
I'm in no way mixed up.
When someone says it will accelerate at the same rate in every gear from 5500-7300 rpm, they're wrong, and I've highlighted why.
Appreciate 0