View Single Post
      02-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #176
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Strange, my number via CarTest is 138. That is 2008 LS3 engine only (6MT from existing car) stuffed into the M3.
I used the C & D "mph per 1000 rpm" numbers multiplied by 6.5. No biggie.

Quote:
Wasn't this the argument in favor of the 335i over the M3? The only difference there is the FD, gear ratios are identical. Furthermore if your argument favors the 335i over the M3 it would similarly favor the low rear end ratioed Vetter over the M3.
Swamp, would you just read the damned book - or at least the section covering rotational inertias? That way we can have a possibly intelligent discussion on the topic.

Quote:
By simulation I concur this is correct but the difference is never more than a 1/10th second to any speed up to an including 180 mph. It is also splitting hairs as to whether or not you would want the rear end ratio. Some numbers would be better others worse. Either way definitely not enough of a change to call it "better". Really splitting hairs.
There's no question that the larger drop in rpm on the 1-2 shift (with the Mustang gearset) hurts performance in any from-zero contest, but that gearset in the Vette means that on track (not drag strip), the car would be quicker, and be more pleasant on the street. As a for instance, even in a drag race, the Mustang gears mean the Vette gets livelier in the second half of the run. It of course still loses to the standard Z51-geared box, but has a higher trap speed, compared to a slower 660 foot trap speed.

Quote:
One last detail. I noticed in performing sims of the M3 with the 2008 LS3 engine and transmission that the stock M3 with 6MT bests this hypothetical vehicle up to 500 in time to distance meaning of course it is physically ahead in a race, whereas the hypothetical vehicle takes all of the time to speed contests.
Standard Swamp tactics. You're being disingenuous, as usual, in order to try and win a point. My sims show the Vette-engined M3 picking up about four tenths and four mph in the quarter over the standard car, with either the standard gearbox feeding to a 3.08 final drive, or with the Vette box and standard rear.

With more power and loads more torque at the same vehicle weight, the M3 can't help but be quite a bit quicker and faster with the Vette motor. The only reason it wouldn't be quicker is if it had a traction problem - which you carefully refrain from mentioning.

Bruce
Appreciate 0